Mother’s Day is about a week from now. That means if you haven’t yet figured out what to give your mom… what a shame! But also totally understandable. Not all of us have the experience of gift shopping.
Instead of falling back to the classics like brunch at your favorite restaurant, a “World’s Greatest Mom” mug, or God forbid, the ever-boring flowers, why not think out of the box this year for your Mother’s Day Gift?
As the only coupon site that donates to tree-planting efforts at the moment, Tenere brings you a list of sustainable Mother’s Day gifts for the environmental moms out there. Let’s begin!
For the moms that like luxuriating in a long, hot bath: Organic Bath Bombs
For many moms, nothing is more rewarding after a long day of work than listening to their children chirping and whining about their days – oh, c’mon, you know it’s true.
Hot baths are medicinal. A form of both heat and hydrotherapy, hot baths elevate core body warmth and promote blood flow, which can reduce blood pressure, blood sugar management, and inflammation.
To make her bath even more enjoyable, give your mom organic bath bombs. These bath bombs are free of preservatives and 100% natural, making them good for her health and the environment:
- INTEYE Organic & Natural Bath Bombs: These bath bombs come in 6 different flavors, and are made of shea butter, coconut oil, and grape seed oil for deep moisturization.
- Beauty By Earth Bath Bombs: A collection of six bath bombs, separately packaged. They contain high-quality components, including kaolin clay, sea salt, shea and cocoa butter, and sunflower oil.
- Sturme Bath Bomb Set: 16 handmade bath bombs, 8 unique fragrances, formulated with essential oils.
For the moms who are scent-sitive: Eco-Friendly Soy Scented Candles
Common candles are made from bleached petroleum byproducts. Organic candles, however, aren’t made from toxic chemicals. They are made from organic waxes, such as soy wax or beeswax, which means they have a low environmental impact.
This Mother’s Day, set the mood for a loving celebration by giving your mom something that recalls your most cherished memories together. From fruity raspberry to punchy cinnamon and more, eco-friendly scented candles are a therapeutic and sustainable Mother’s Day gift.
Some noteworthy organic scented candles to give as Mother’s Day gifts:
- Sakara Life’s Manifestation Candle: This citrus-noted natural candle from Sakara Life has a braided cotton wick with a paper core and can burn for up to 50 hours.
- LES Scented Candle: Each candle is made with a natural coconut and beeswax combination.
- Scented Candle: Edition 03: This modern candle has a burn period of up to 65 hours with woody aromas of cedar, juniper, and black pepper.
For the moms who love a little sugar in their life: Ethically Sourced Chocolate
Cheap and tasty, chocolate is a universal gift, in the sense that you can give it for any occasion. Including Mother’s Day.
Truthfully, candy-making isn’t the most sustainable industry, but many brands are trying to change it. By employing more sustainable techs in their production, along with using more sustainable sources, your chocolate is eco-friendly while still as delicious as ever!
Ethical chocolate is easier to find than you think. If your mom is a chocolate lover, go for one of these brands:
- Doisy & Dam: a dark, vegan-friendly chocolate brand that’s also palm-oil-free. The brand supports empowerment programs to support the indigenous community.
- Cocoa Loco: Their sources are sponsored and verified by the Fairtrade Foundation and the Soil Association. Cocoa Loco also pays cocoa farmers a fair wage for their harvest.
- Chocolate and Love: A brand of organic, award-winning, Fairtrade chocolate that is vegan, rich in cocoa content, and low in sugar.
For the glorious wine moms: Wine Glasses
No, we aren’t talking about eco-friendly wine. We get it; eco-friendly wines don’t have the greatest taste. Instead, let your mom enjoy her wine, no matter how strong or light, in her own sustainable set of wine glasses.
Sustainable glass is not a new material. Thanks to its main component, silica, the glass itself is already recyclable. Thus, if a glass of wine is a part of your mom’s daily routine, a set of wine glasses to add to her current one is a pretty nice gift.
Wine glasses come in many shapes, sizes, and even colors. Stores that let you pick out your own set of wine glasses for a Sustainable Mother’s Day gift include:
- West Elm: Made in Mexico from recycled glass, West Elm products are created under fair trade conditions, invest in local communities, and are ethically sourced.
- Kessy Beldi: Each item is mouth-blown from recycled soda and beer bottles in Marrakech. Kessy Beldi’s glassware features distinctive embellishments such as raised edges and bubbling middles.
- Estelle Glassware: Estelle Glassware’s stemware is hand-blown by glass artisans in Poland. The vintage-inspired line includes plenty of flexibility, with a range of stem and stemless designs.
For the moms who just want to get their laundry done: Zero Waste Detergents
Laundry is a chore that nobody likes. Including the Earth. Being responsible for a large percentage of toxic wastewater, laundry might keep your clothing clean, by polluting water sources in the process.
A new washing machine might be too much on the nose for Mother’s Day – nobody likes to be reminded about their chores. You can go for the next option: zero waste detergents. They are great for the environment, and contain zero additives, making your mom’s laundry way greener.
If your mom is an ethical consumer, you can help make her next laundry load less environmentally destructive, by giving her the latest zero-waste detergents. Check out this list of eco-friendly detergents and laundry products:
- EcoRoots: EcoRoots Eco-Strips are made from plant-based cleaning agents like Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate, and are free of harsh chemicals, palm oil, and animal byproducts.
- Etee: Etee’s concentrated laundry detergent powder is made with safe, biodegradable ingredients without relying on sulfates, parabens, or harsh chemicals.
- Dropps: Dropps pods are made using non-toxic and dissolvable polyvinyl alcohol (PVOH). The packaging is made from approximately 50% post-consumer recycled material.
For the moms who hike: Reusable Water Bottles
Hiking is a popular outdoor activity, ranking 4th on the list of most taken-on hobbies. Even though it is not considered a sport, hiking is a form of exercise for many moms. What not to love: Hiking doesn’t require too much strength, exertion, and endurance, plus they get to enjoy the scenery.
For hiking moms, a reusable water bottle is an awesome gift. It keeps your mom fully hydrated on their hiking routes. You can even buy a 2-bottle set, so your mom can share it with her hiking buddy.
Stores to shop for reusable water bottles as Mother’s Day gifts:
- Nalgene Wide Mouth Water Bottle: The Nalgene Wide Mouth Water Bottle is composed of BPA-free Tritan plastic. It also comes in a variety of colors, including Eggplant, Cosmo, and Pear.
- The S’well Stainless steel bottles can keep beverages cold for up to 24 hours. The bottles come in three sizes — 9 ounces, 17 ounces and 25 ounces.
- Contigo Autoseal Water Bottle: The Contigo Autoseal Water Bottle has a spill-proof top and an integrated handle for easy transport.
For the moms who actually work out: Activewear
Yes, your mom works out. Whether it’s Pilates and Yoga, or just exercising in general, many moms take on some form of exercise to keep in shape or increase their strength and endurance. After all, being a mom is a lot of work.
Activewear that keeps your mom comfortable no matter what form of exercise she takes on is a good fit for exercising moms – see what I did there?
Sustainable activewear brands as good Mother’s Day gifts:
- Girlfriend: Girlfriend’s activewear is made from either recycled nylon or polyester fibers.
- Summersalt: Summersalt’s activewear is made from 80 to 90% recycled polyester that comes from recycled plastic bottles.
- Vyayama: Vyayama’s Tencel fabrics are crafted from sustainably farmed eucalyptus. The botanical-based material is a renewable fiber and is certified non-toxic.
For the moms who love to peck their children and grandchildren: Lip balms
A kiss on the cheek is your mom’s way of saying “I love you.” It might look embarrassing to be wetly smooched, but it is nonetheless heartwarming.
But too much kissing on the cheeks can lead to chapped lips. Help your mom with some organic lip glosses and lip balms. This is also a good way to tell your mom you don’t mind her kissing you on the cheeks once in a while.
Organic lip balms:
- Juice Beauty: Juice Beauty’s SPF 8 Lip Moisturizers are chemical-free and made with organic sunflower and coconut to hydrate, vitamin E to nourish, and mineral zinc oxide to protect.
- Burt’s Bees: Burt’s Bees’ Cucumber Mint Lip Balm marries cucumber, peppermint oil, and beeswax for a cooling and tingling chapstick.
- Dr. Bronner’s: Dr. Bronner’s Organic Lip Balms are all-in-one chapsticks for chapped lips and are made from avocado oil, organic beeswax, and jojoba and hemp oils to provide relief to dry lips.
For the moms who love gardening: House plants or saplings
Making her lawn beautiful is the passion of many moms. In fact, it is ranked as the #1 hobby in America.
Even if you can hardly tell the difference between a dandelion and a daisy, giving your mom something she could plant in her garden is a good idea. In case your mom also cares about climate change, refer her to a list of trees that absorb the most carbon so your mom’s garden could be even greener.
For gardening moms, saplings or plants make the best sustainable Mother’s Day gift. Stores that sell these plants include:
- The Sill: A good source for popular houseplants, and offers faux and preserved plants.
- Greenery NYC: Good selection of larger houseplants and they have stylish planters.
- Horti: Less expensive plant options and they offer “Pet Friendly” and “New to Plants” options.
For the moms who love to accessorize: Sustainable jewelry
Jewelry is a common gift for moms. They can also be quite pricey, which intimidates many of us when picking jewelry as a gift for Mother’s Day. Why do you think your mom has her collection safely kept in a box near her vanity?
Thankfully, sustainable jewelry is more affordable than say, Tiffany’s. These pieces of jewelry use ethical sources, typically lab-grown diamonds and conflict-free gold.
If sustainable jewelry is your pick for Mother’s Day gifts, here are some stores to check out:
- Kimaï: The company uses only 100% traceable lab-grown diamonds and recycled 18k gold.
- Rachel Balfour: Committed to longevity and reducing waste, the brand also donates 1 percent of its gross sales to support environmental non-profits.
- Märta Larsson: Märta Larsson’s delivery will have its carbon footprint offset by the international courier, offsetting the carbon footprint created by the post-kilometer journey.
This Mother’s Day, give your moms the most sustainable Mother’s Day gifts on this list. For those with a limited budget, check out our coupons to go Mother’s Day gift shopping for the lowest price possible.