When we think of habitats, we often imagine wild forests where animals live. However, we humans are also part of the habitat, and our homes and cities are included in the world’s habitat. To celebrate and reflect on the state of our habitats, the United Nations has created World Habitat Day.
So, what can you do to participate in this year’s World Habitat Day and make a positive impact?
- The History of World Habitat Day
- What Can I Do On World Habitat Day?
- Participate In The Global Observance Of World Habitat Day
- Organize Or Join A Local Event Or Activity
- Learn More About Urbanization
- Support The Work Of Un-Habitat And Other Organizations
- Share Your Stories
The History of World Habitat Day
What Is The Meaning Of World Habitat Day?
Before getting into how we can participate in this year’s World Habitat Day, let’s take a look at the history behind this amazing day.
Every year, on the first Monday of October, the world celebrates World Habitat Day, a day to recognize the basic human right to adequate shelter and the transformative impact of a decent home.
The first-ever World Habitat Day was celebrated in Nairobi, Kenya, with the theme Shelter is my right”. Since then there have been many World Habitat Days celebrated around different themes:
- 1986: Shelter is My Right.
- 1987: Shelter for the Homeless.
- 1990: Shelter and Urbanization.
- 1997: Future Cities.
- 2000: Women in Urban Governance.
- 2001: Cities Without Slums.
- 2003: Water and Sanitation for Cities.
- 2009: Planning Our Urban Future.
- 2010: Better City, Better Life.
- 2011: Cities and Climate Change.
- 2020: Housing for All.
World Habitat Day 2023 Theme
The theme for World Habitat Day 2023 is “Resilient urban economies. Cities as drivers of growth and recovery”. This year’s theme focuses on how cities can position their economies to benefit residents, especially in the wake of the triple C crises — COVID-19, climate, and conflict.
What Can I Do On World Habitat Day?
Participate In The Global Observance Of World Habitat Day
The global observance is an event celebrated in a host country and this year it will be held in Baku, Azerbaijan.
You can register to attend the event in person or online and join the keynote speakers, roundtable discussions on the theme of resilient urban economies, and other World Habitat Day 2023 activities. You can also watch the live webcast of the event on the UN-Habitat website or social media channels.
Organize Or Join A Local Event Or Activity
You can also celebrate World Habitat Day in your community by organizing or joining a local event or activity promoting resilient urban economies. For example, you can:
- Host a webinar, workshop, or panel discussion on topics such as urban planning, green economy, social entrepreneurship, or innovation.
- Organize a clean-up, tree-planting, or recycling campaign to improve the environmental quality of your neighborhood and achieve the zero-waste goal.
- Conduct a survey, mapping, or audit of the urban services, infrastructure, or amenities in your area and identify the gaps and needs.
- Showcase your talents, skills, or products in a fair, exhibition, or market that supports local businesses, artisans, or entrepreneurs.
- Volunteer for a local organization, group, or project that works on urban development, sustainable urban projects, etc.
Learn More About Urbanization
Urbanization is a complex and dynamic process. It can bring prosperity and protection to our community. However, the fast rate of urbanization also leads to the destruction of forests, and natural habitats which can put many lives in danger.
You can read more about urbanization and its impacts on the UN-Habitat website or watch some videos on their YouTube channel. You can also check out some of the projects that have won the World Habitat Awards. These are projects that are recognized as outstanding and sustainable housing solutions.
The UN-Habitats World Cities Report 2022 is also a good source that you should take a look at.
Support The Work Of Un-Habitat And Other Organizations
There are many organizations that are working to promote sustainable urban development and improve the lives of urban dwellers around the world. Volunteering and donating 2 of the best ways to support your favorite org if you have the time, skills, or resources needed to help with the implementation of urban projects and programs.
You might think that your effort alone is not enough to make a difference, but you are not alone. Tenere is also by your side in this journey. We are a small business that helps you save money and save the planet at the same time. Every time you use our coupons, we donate part of the commission we earn to tree-planting projects worldwide. Since December 2021, we have helped plant 122,357 trees in different countries. Join our mission and make the world greener one tree at a time!
Share Your Stories
We are living in a flat world thanks to the Internet so don’t waste this opportunity to to share your stories, experiences, and opinions on urban issues and solutions.
You can write a blog post, an article, or a letter to the editor of your local newspaper or magazine. You can also join online discussions, debates, or polls on urban topics and express your views and suggestions. Don’t forget to use the hashtags #WorldHabitatDay and #ResilientUrbanEconomies to reach a wider audience and connect with other urban enthusiasts.
World Habitat Day 2023 is a wonderful opportunity for everyone to be part of a positive movement towards a sustainable future. Remember that even the smallest effort counts. Don’t be afraid to participate in this special day by doing what is meaningful for both you and your community.