Traveling is fun and rewarding, but it also comes with negative impacts on the environment, such as greenhouse gas emissions, waste generation, water consumption, and biodiversity loss. That is why we must embrace sustainable travel and start celebrating World Tourism Day 2023.
What Is World Tourism Day?
World Tourism Day, or International Tourism Day, happens yearly, thanks to the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO). They started it in 1980 to tell people why tourism is crucial and how it affects our society, culture, economy, and environment.
The big idea behind World Tourism Day is to show how tourism helps people from different cultures understand each other better, strengthen our economies, and bring countries together.
People all over the world, including governments, tourism groups, and businesses, all join this day. They organize meetings, workshops, concerts, exhibitions, and more.
It’s a day to remind us that tourism isn’t just about joy trips; it also brings in money, creates jobs, and supports local communities. Also, it encourages us to be responsible tourists who take care of the places we visit.
When is World Tourism Day? WTD takes place worldwide on September 27th each year. This date marks the anniversary of the acceptance of the Statutes of the Organization in 1970, which served as the foundation for establishing UNWTO five years later.
This year’s event is just two weeks away, so it’s crunch time to prepare for the big day.
World Tourism Day 2023 Theme
Every year, the UNWTO will choose a special topic for World Tourism Day that reflects what’s happening in the tourism industry. The World Tourism Day theme in 2023 is “Tourism and Green Investments.”
UNWTO believes that investing more in tourism will grow and benefit both people and the environment. They want to encourage smart and innovative investments in the tourism industry.
For World Tourism Day in 2023, the UNWTO is asking governments, banks, development organizations, and private businesses to work together and create new and creative plans for investing in tourism.
Let’s look back at the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on tourism. In 2020, there was a 74% drop in the number of international tourists compared to 2019.
The pandemic also showed the tourism industry’s inequality and how it depends on other industries.
To recover from this crisis and make tourism better for the future, the UNWTO thinks that “green investments” are crucial.
Green investments are ones that support nature, include everyone, and help our economy. They can come in different forms, including greenfield investments, brownfield investments, green bonds, and green funds.
By putting money into eco-friendly tourism projects and activities, we can help tourism bounce back from the pandemic and make our world greener and better.
How To Celebrate World Tourism Day?
There are many ways to celebrate World Tourism Day and support its theme. Refer to these ideas:
WTD23 Spread The Word
Let’s raise awareness of World Tourism Day 2023 and its theme by sharing these social media messages, graphics, and animations on your platforms. Also, use the hashtags #WTD23 #TourismAndGreenInvestment #UNWTO to join the global conversation.
WTD23 Join The Celebration
Another way to celebrate is by joining in events and activities organized by UNWTO or its partners worldwide.
Otherwise, organizing your own event is also a good idea. It’s time to let the children learn about sustainable tourism practices. Here are some fun ideas for you and your children:
- Learn about different cultures: Have a small event where kids can explore different cultures, languages, and traditions worldwide. This approach promotes understanding and respect for the diversity of people and places.
- Make eco-friendly souvenirs: Have children make their eco-friendly souvenirs themselves using natural materials. It helps them understand the value of handmade products and reduces the need for mass-produced items.
- Tell stories and share: Encourage your kids to research and talk about famous eco-friendly places. They will be eager to create presentations or short stories to share with their friends.
- Explore virtual tours: If you can’t travel, explore the world through virtual tours of eco-friendly spots, national parks, or green projects. This activity can make kids curious about nature and inspire them to protect it.
- Organize a green fair: Let the children develop new business ideas that help tourism be more eco-friendly. Then, set up a little fair where they can show off their ideas and tell others why responsible travel is so vital.
When you shop using our exclusive coupons, you’re not only getting awesome discounts but also becoming a part of our tree-planting projects, making the world greener. That’s a great “green investment”!
So, let’s shop, save, and grow our love for the environment together!
WTD23 Frame Your WTD
Finally, show your support for World Tourism Day by adding a photo filter to your profile picture on social media.
Also, whenever you go on an ecotourism trip, take a selfie or a group photo with your friends or family using the filter and share it with #WTD23 #TourismAndGreenInvestment #UNWTO. There are many incredible destinations for sustainable travel: Costa Rica, the Amazon, New Zealand, and more.
Resources for World Tourism Day 2023
To learn more about WTD and its theme, check out these resources:
- UNWTO’s Global Tourism Investment Framework: This document provides a strategic vision and guidance on investing in tourism after the pandemic.
- UNWTO’s Investments Strategy: Through this reference, you will know what UNWTO is going to do to help countries and groups invest in tourism.
- UNWTO’s Sustainable Tourism Development: If you visit this webpage, you can see all the great things UNWTO is doing to ensure tourism is good for our planet. They have projects worldwide that make tourism better and more eco-friendly.
World Tourism Day 2023 is a terrific opportunity to celebrate tourism and its positive impacts on the environment and society. We hope this article has inspired you to embrace sustainable travel and join the celebration of WTD 2023.
Remember, tourism is not only about where we go or what we do but also how we do it. Let’s make tourism a force for good for everyone!